It can only be what it is...



Saturday, August 7, 2010

Teachers, and the passing of Aitken Roshi


With the passing of Aitken Roshi, it has made me wonder about the choices we make for a teacher. I have never met, or read any of his books yet, although I was making my way towards them.
Can one have a teacher that we have never met ?
In the Vedic tradition you have a guru, and within those circles there is some debate as to whether you can choose a guru that has deceased.
What do you do if your teacher has fallen ? Can you replace them ? Should we ?
If we choose a teacher that has deceased , and choose them as our guide, have we elevated them to a stature that can be without equal ?
As I am preparing to meet several Zen teachers in the next few weeks these are questions that keep ruminating in my mind.
I have to say from all the posts that I have read, Aitken Roshi seems to have lived a good life, in that he did real good with his time , inspired others , and will continue to inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment