It can only be what it is...



Friday, April 20, 2012

Suffer the children

While it is fairly true I have never quite considered myself Catholic (too many swipes at the back of the head from brothers and sisters in high school I think) , the quote from the bible (Matthew 19:14) pertaining to the suffering of children has always struck a chord. Although, truth be told, suffering is not just for children but it does feel that it is something that we should as a society strive to avoid.

When faced with children who are in pain, generally we want to do something to alleviate it. Sometimes it is obvious physical pain, but what to do when the pain is more psychological ?



A drop of water into a still pond causes a ripple, and with it it's own set of consequences. What do we do when someone is not able to see past the ripple ? Doesn't see long term, or couldn't care less for short term for that matter , What then ?

I am trying very hard to grapple with this . I am filled with remorse for all the suffering that I am seeing, and the need for action to remedy it, and yet the more action seems to bring me to a deeper pit of a feeling, that this suffering is inexhaustible, too deep to be reached and cleared out. My actions will not ever be great enough to wipe it out.

Samsara (the continous flow) of life, birth ,death will always roll on,

I breath in, I breath out, Om mani padme hum...



 om mani padme hum, mean that in dependence on the practice of a path which is an indivisible union of method and wisdom, you can transform your impure body, speech, and mind into the pure exalted body, speech, and mind of a Buddha[...]"-- H.H. Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, "Om Mani Padme Hum


(picture of mani stones in India near the Himalyas, the stones have the mantra om mani padme hum inscribed on them)

No comments:

Post a Comment