It can only be what it is...



Monday, October 1, 2012

Father's, Son's, and Time...oh my.

So...past week has been interesting, to say the least. My youngest daughter was ill with a bacterial skin infection. Situated around her eye it was of particular concern. The week consisted of in and out of the Children's Hospital(which does amazing work by the way) and lots of I.V. antibiotics and more at home. She is finally on the mend.
Here comes the second shoe to drop...I find out that my father is in the hospital. He had been there a week already but no one ever contacted me to let me know.(I wish my family put the fun into dysfunctional!) but that is another post all by itself.
Needless to say my father had a bit of a scare as they found some blood clots in his leg and lungs. After a week of intensive clot busting medicine and blood thinning drugs he seems to be on the mend as well.
I went and visited my Dad over the week end and was surprised to see that he(we) got old.
My Dad and I have exactly thirty years difference, give or take a month and like all Dad's he was Superman when I was young. The strongest, by far of all the Dad's I knew.
You know when boys get together and boast "My Dad could beat up your Dad", to me there was never any doubt. He was invincible.
That was then, this is now. He still looks good for his age, don't get me wrong, it bodes well for me as well, full head of hair,(most of it grey) nary a wrinkle and still very much alert and with it.
None the less I was forced to look at my Dad and realize, Time has moved, I am now at the age where I started to disagree with my Dad, my own daughter almost at that same gap in age.
Does she see me the way I used to look at my Dad ?
It's a strange feeling to know that one day I would be here, even stranger when I got here.
My Dad and I get along better now than we ever did. There is a an acknowledgement between us, I have forgiven him, he now respects me I feel.
It almost feels like an imperative to spend a bit more time together, impart what I have learned to him, and from him to me, before it's too late.
The clock is ticking, and it probably won't end up the way I envision it, conflicts of schedule etc. but the effort will be made, and that will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment